Got an invitation from Geoff Schroeder to discuss the Shifty 50 issue so we met at Moxie Java on Saturday May 15th, 2010. For those who don't know Geoff, he is a Mountain Home City Councilman so he does have some knowledge of how things work in this town. The Shifty Fifty is one of his favorite subjects as he was filled in on the this group 20 years ago and continues to keep up on this group. Below I outline what I got out of my conversation with the “shifty-eyed” Mountain Home Councilman.
Top Five Reasons the Shifty Fifty Must Exist
In order to open a new business in Mountain Home, the kind the Shifty 50 will not allow:
1. You should try to obtain business license. The Shifty 50 could control the entire Business License process for the city. But then again, there is no such thing as a Mountain Home Business License. You don't need and cannot obtain a business license here.
2. You must get around the Shifty 50 slick and sleazy zoning changes and regulations. But then again, you could look into city zoning either on-line or go to the city to find out if the Shifty Fifty will at least consider your business. From what I understand, this is a difficult thing as you might need some special skills...like reading English and the ability to read a map. If the Zone Ordinances indicate you can open your business in the location you wish, then hang a sign on the building and fire up the cash register.
3. You must grease the business skids by lobbying the Mayor and City Council as they obviously are all deeply involved and secret members of the Shifty Fifty.
4. With the Base Commander and his minions out at the Air Force Base having a huge influence on city business decisions, you must grease the military side of the Shifty Fifty also. We all know the United States Air Force doesn't want any new businesses in Mountain Home because...well, who knows, but the Shifty Fifty works in mysterious ways. Top secret stuff maybe?
5. Geoff Schroeder emphatically denies that the Shifty Fifty exists. Didn't we already establish the entire City Council must be part of the Shifty Fifty. Of course Geoff is going to deny this secret organization exists.
Look, I used a little dry humor, sarcasm and some just plain silly writing to say once and for all, THE SHIFTY FIFTY OF MOUNTAIN HOME DOES NOT EXIST. But urban legends usually die a very slow death and sometimes they never die. (Wink, Wink)
Credit Where Credit is Due: THANKS to Geoff for taking time to give me the straight scoop on this subject. Common sense always prevails!
If you want to discuss the Shifty Fifty legend or have a different opinion, then speak up. Make a comment or contact me through this website. I'll be glad to post any pictures, documents or evidence you have. As a matter of fact, I have pictures of Elvis living in South America, the Lock Ness Monster and President Obama's Nigerian birth certificate just waiting to be published right here on “The Bondy Web. (Sorry, couldn't resist a little more sarcasm)
Thanks for visiting and commenting on this story.
The Bondyweb.Com author
|< Prev||Next >|